Best Audiobook App for iPhone [Free, Subscription or Buy]
- Free Audiobook Apps for iPhone
- Paid Audiobook Apps for iPhone
- Buy AudioBook iPhone Apps
Free Audiobook Apps for iPhone
1. OverDrive App for iPhone (FREE)
Another audiobook option to consider is your local library if it has a digital media lending system. Overdrive iOS App is a media management app that allows users to borrow ebooks and audiobooks from their library’s collection, with all the flexibility and convenience of a digital app. OverDrive users can borrow titles from the library’s collection 24/7, and users can create holds, wishlists and effortlessly return ebooks and audiobooks. Cross-device syncing of titles and bookmarks allow you the flexibility to listen to an audiobook on the device of your choice.
- Apple iOS
2. Librivox App for iPhone (FREE)
- 15,000 Free Audiobooks
If you’re not necessarily looking for the latest bestsellers, Librivox iOS App offers access to more than 15,000 free audiobooks of public domain works ranging from classic bestsellers to out-of-print titles that users can browse by title, author or genre. Users can save and listen to any number of books that they want, setting unlimited bookmarks as well as a sleep timer. As the work is done by volunteers, narration quality can vary, but it’s a great way to get classic works of literature in audiobook format without breaking the bank.
3. Oodles App for Apple (FREE)
- 50,000 Free Audiobooks
Another option for public domain ebooks and audiobooks is Oodles (Oodles iOS App), which offers up more than 50,000 free titles that you can download and read or listen to. Oodles sources its English audiobook titles from Librivox, while also including Hindi titles. Playback controls are on the sparse side, with a timeline that you can scroll through, and 30-second skips forward and back. However, there’s no way to speed up or slow down playback. Still, it’s hard to argue with free. The app is ad-supported, with an in-app purchase removing advertising. Don’t come here looking for the latest bestsellers though, as Oodles’ reader app is strictly for public domain content.
Oodles iOS App Features
- Read books and stories in English and Hindi for free
- Discover the great classics and some of the world’s best authors
- Import books from your phone and read in Oodles reader
- Take your library anywhere on your phone and read offline
- Personalise your reading experience
- Share ebook files with friends through email
- Fiction books
- Romance books
- Fantasy books
- Adventure books
- Science fiction,
- Christmas books
- Horror books
- Short stories
- Love stories
4. Free Audiobooks HQ (iOS: Free)
Free Audiobooks HQ by Inkstone allows users to listen to more than 8,500 free audiobooks, as well as purchase and listen to anyone of 10,000-plus premium titles in a variety of languages. Playback controls come with some good options, such as configurable playback speeds, bookmark support, and a sleep timer. You can check out curated lists of titles or use the app’s built-in search functions to find just the titles you want.
5. Audiobooks App (iOS: Free)
- 5,000 Free Audiobooks
The Audiobooks app from Cross Forward Consulting might have an unimaginative title, but it allows users to listen to a library of more than 5,000 free, public domain audiobooks in a clean, easy-to-use app. The app includes background and AirPlay support, a sleep timer, a dark mode and support for podcast playback. Users looking for more can also buy premium audiobooks ranging from modern bestsellers to professionally narrated classics.
Paid Audiobook Apps for iPhone
Audible for iPhone App Features
- Download Audiobooks. You can download audiobooks and original podcasts to listen offline, anytime, anywhere
- Find New Audiobooks – The “discover” section of the app and see best sellers, new releases and personalised audiobook recommendations and add to your reading list.
- AudioBook Player Tools – The Audiobook player makes it easy to skip ahead or back and navigate through chapters.
- Sample Audiobooks First – Try Book samples for free on App
- SLEEP TIMER: Use the sleep timer to stop narration if you drift off.
- NARRATION SPEED: Speed up or slow down the narration by up to 3x to suit you.
- BOOKMARK: Save a Clip or Bookmark, so you never lose your place.
- Free Book Returns – Exchange any audiobook, any time, for any reason.
- Book Syncing – Automatically sync your library of audiobooks across all your devices – Web, Apps.
- Multiple Devices – Listen books on your phone, tablet, App, computer or Amazon Device.
- MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS – Audible Members also get up to 70% off selected audiobooks and free unlimited listening to original podcasts.
Audible remains the powerhouse in the audiobooks field, with more than 150,000 titles in its library. Audible’s audiobook player offers solid playback features, with chapter navigation, bookmarks, a sleep mode, variable playback speed and multitasking support for background playback and downloading. Its increasing integration with Amazon’s Kindle system is reaping added benefits for its users, as Kindle users can pay a small fee to upgrade a Kindle ebook with an Audible audiobook; Amazon’s Whispersync allows users to switch between audiobook and text near-seamlessly.
Simply Audiobooks’ cloud-based Audiobooks.com platform also offers a solid audiobook app for Android and iOS listeners, allowing subscribers to choose from a library of more than 45,000 audiobooks from every genre that they can stream or download for offline listening.
Audiobooks.com iPhone App Features
- With over 150,000 titles
- Find books easily, with over 10k+ audible free titles
- 1m Podcasts included
- Browse books by genre and discover what others are listening to
- Download audiobooks
- Audio Books app Player – includes variable playback speed, automatic bookmarking and a sleep timer
- App includes cross-device syncing allowing listeners to easily transition from their smartphone, tablet or computer without losing their place in the audiobook.
While Kobo (iOS App) may not have the same big name recall of Amazon in the US ebooks and audiobooks market, it offers a rich library of ebooks and audiobooks in its online marketplace and reader apps.
Kobo’s audiobook player covers your basics, with a timeline scrubber bar, timeskip buttons, chapter navigation, playback speed configuration and a snooze timer. The app provides cross-platform syncing and a customizable ebook reader in addition to the audiobook player.
New users can sign up for a $5 discount on their first ebook purchase.
Kobo (ios App)
- Android App
- $8.99 per month subscription
Scribd iOS App has taken a different tack with its audiobook offerings, presenting them to users as part of its on-demand, Netflix style service. For $8.99 monthly, Scribd subscribers now have access to a library of more than 30,000 titles in addition to the more than half-a-million ebooks that they can already access with their Scribd account.
Buy AudioBook iPhone Apps
1. Nook App for iPhone (Buy)
- Free Apple App
- No membership – Buy and own AudioBook only
- Buy 50,000 Audiobooks
Barnes & Noble offers the Nook Audiobooks app (Nook iOS App), with a
- Shop the latest new Barnes and noble releases, bestsellers, and promotions.
- 80,000+ free titles
- Childrens interactive picture books.
- Also, Download free eBook samples
- Add notes, bookmarks, and highlights as you read. Share favorite highlights with friends across social networks.
- Organize your Book Library into custom collections.
- Search inside the book and look up words with the downloadable in-app dictionary.
- Share eBooks, magazines, newspapers, and comics across Profiles—no need to purchase again! Reading position, bookmarks, highlights, and notes are saved to each Profile.
- Visit B&N Readouts for daily streams of free book excerpts, magazine articles, and all kinds of bookish news—including reviews from our community. Share on social, email, and other apps.
Google Play Books (iOS App) also builds in audiobook features, allowing you to listen to your purchased audiobooks across platforms and devices. That enables listeners to pick up where they left off on their Android device, iPhone, or desktop PC. Audiobook controls allow you to skip ahead or scroll along the timeline, jump to chapters, and configure playback speed and a snooze timer. Unlike other audiobook services, Google Play Books doesn’t run on a monthly subscription,
Google Play Book App Features
- LISTEN TO A GREAT AUDIOBOOK ANYWHERE, ANYTIME
- View Latest Audiobooks are now available on Google Play
- Buy one New Audiobooks – no monthly subscription.
- Preview free samples of audiobooks before you buy
- Sync Audiobooks status Apps or web browser
- 50,000+ Audiobooks
- Buy AudioBooks Only
Top Free AudioBooks
|Free Non-Fiction AudioBooks|
|Free Fiction AudioBooks|
|Free Classic AudioBooks|
|Free Academic AudioBooks|
|Free Language AudioBooks|
|Free Kids AudioBooks|
|Free Philosophy AudioBooks|
|Free Psychology AudioBooks|
|Free Classic AudioBooks|
|Free Science AudioBooks|
Free AudioBooks Sources
|Free Spotify AudioBooks|
|Free iTunes AudioBooks|
|Free Youtube AudioBooks|
|Free BBC AudioBooks|
|Free SoundCloud AudioBooks|
Free Online Courses
|Free Online Math Courses|
|Free Online Engineering Courses|
|Free Online Tech Courses|
|Free Online Sociology Courses|
|Free Online Law Courses|
|Free Online History Courses|
|Free Online Food Courses|