Audio & Ebook Display 550

Discuss and share information pertaining to digital books in all its various forms: Audio Books, Ebooks, Listening and Reading Devices, Authors and Narrators News and Deals, Freebies and Much more. Register now and stay in touch with all the latest news and events in this our digital age.

Audible Best Sellers | Browse Audiobooks | New Releases | New York Times Best Sellers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a good mp3 player for audio books with book marking 2011

Default What is a good mp3 player for audio books with book marking 2011

Hi,

I have been looking for a while for a good mp3 player with book marking. Most of the reviews that I have read leave out audio books all together. The ones that do suggest players for audio books are out of date with current models.

I have a very old mp3 player sansa m240 and every time I hit the wrong button I lose my place have to fast forward or start over from the beginning witch drives me nuts. I like to listen to music or radio then go back to the book but then I would have to start the book over. This is the only mp3 player I have owned.

I would like The mp3 player to:

Book marking or at least keep track of my spot when stopping the book and listen to music

Fast rewind and fast forward

Work with Overdrive witch is what my online library uses

Audio format mp3 wma audio books wma music secure wma

Be able to use window explorer to add or remove files. I don’t want to be locked into using brand name software.

Have at least good video quality.

Video format mpeg-4 wmv

I have been told that Cowon Iaudio 9 have book marking but I don’t know if it will work with overdrive it is not listed for compatible or incompatible players. Not sure of the audio format. This player has very good user reviews.

The other player that sounds good is Sony walkman but I can’t find much on how this player works with audio books.

I am new to the mp3 player world so any help or explanation on how newer mp3 player handles audio books and or witch one is best will be great help.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Last edited by thebighat99; 08-07-2011 at 08:07 AM.

Default Re: What is a good mp3 player for audio books with book marking 2011

That's a tall order. iPod traps you. Kindle doesn't do video. Does Nook do video? Kindle doesn't - but will have overdrive capability soon. You really need a multimedia player if you want both video and audio, I think...

I was looking on Amazon and there are a lot of tablets out there that do what you want... but they are bigger than the traditional mp3 player. I think Android is probably compatible with most kinds of files...

Anybody else have something to add?
    Last edited by DorothyD; 08-13-2011 at 06:16 AM.
    ďThe things I want to know are in books; my best friend is the man who'll get me a book I ain't read.Ē
    - Abraham Lincoln

Well I totally love my Clip+ and would recommend it to anyone for mp3 audiobooks, but with this list of needs I know it will not do the job. After that I would only be guessing... I've been attracted to the Creative Zen WiFi as an iPod replacement, if I wanted such which I don't, but can't go so far as recommending it and am not sure if it will do all that's required.

Let's see

Book marking or at least keep track of my spot when stopping the book and listen to music
    >> I just pause the Clip+ and resume it. No bookmarks but it keeps track.

Fast rewind and fast forward
    >> Clip+ has these

Work with Overdrive witch is what my online library uses
    >> Clip+ works with Overdrive but I have not used it

Audio format mp3 wma audio books wma music secure wma
    >> I only use mp3 files on my Clip+ though it does use others (but I can't remember which)

Be able to use window explorer to add or remove files. I don’t want to be locked into using brand name software.
    >> This is why I got the Clip+ - just drag and drop on any computer

Have at least good video quality. & Video format mpeg-4 wmv
    >> Clip+ does not play video

ps I had replied before but it disappeared
    Last edited by aprilla; 08-13-2011 at 07:32 AM. Reason: ps
    aprilla
    my backlog is massive

hi aprilla,

how do you create playlists on your clip+ ?i'm not sure if i've asked you before but i'm still struggling,i've downloaded winamp as i read that it's one of the better ways of doing it but it's not as easy as i thought

Quote Originally Posted by mickyplum View Post
    hi aprilla,
    how do you create playlists on your clip+ ?i'm not sure if i've asked you before but i'm still struggling,i've downloaded winamp as i read that it's one of the better ways of doing it but it's not as easy as i thought

I don't use playlists so you probably know more about creating them than I do, sounds blunt but it's the truth, I really really wish I could help but I just don't know. You have been to the Sansa Clip forums?

Do you want the playlist for music? I don't use music, my Clip+ only has to keep me listening to books - but my books are mp3s so this is my system -

* Each book is in its own folder, whether one file or multiple files.
    * If I need to I convert to mp3.
    * Before adding to the Clip+ I make use of a free program called Mp3tag. Opening all the files for the book (select all/CtrlA > RightClick > Open in mp3tag) in Mp3tag I rename these fields to suit me:
    Title
    Artist
    Album
    Genre = * must be Audiobook *
    Track Numbering

While the book is playing, the Number, Title and Artist fields will show on the clip screen, with the progress bar etc.

When in the Clip menu for the Music > Audiobooks listing I believe it is the Album field that is shown, so here I name to suit my series ( ie WT03 Fallen KS ).
    (Mp3tag does create playlists, but I've never used it.)

* This done, I now just drag the book folder to my Clip's AUDIOBOOKS folder.

That's all I do.

Sorry I can't be a help for playlists
    aprilla
    my backlog is massive

I have been reading about the Zen. People seem to have trouble with them freezing up and having to reboot them. The Zen that was recommended by Consumer Report is no longer being manufactured. But most of the Zen line does have book marking. Witch is a plus.

Been told that I can buy 8gb Ipod touch. I not sure I need all those functions; would have to work with Itunes, for half the price could get a 16gb Sony walkman, They donít use all the formats , Not sure if they use book marking or not. Read the article about overdrive and Ipod in the article he said some wma are not compatible.

When I started looking for mp3 player the clip was one of the first I looked at. It is too small for me, no video, and no book marking. It is kind of like the Sandisk Sansa that I am using now.

I have a kindle but itís too big I need something I can strap to my arm to work out side with. I can not wait till the kindle works with library ebooks.

My budget could be around $200 not that I want to spend that much but if the player fits my needs I would. I know I might not be able to get all the functions that I am looking for and will have to compromise in the end. My next step is to go to best buy and hopefully I can get my hands on some of these players and test them out. With all this said I am not ruling any player out as of yet. It is still confusing to me.

Thank you all for your help

I used an iPod before I got the Clip+, it was the 80Gig Classic. I guess in a way it did do most all you want - except you are tied to iTunes with it. Also, in order to use all the file types you mention the iPod will be making conversions, and at times you will have to tell the iPod what your files do. I found it a lot of frustrating work. For example if you load an mp3 format audiobook to the iPod the files will be added as music, you will then have to use iTunes to tell the iPod that these are in fact 'audiobook' files.

Even if you think you would try to use the iPod as drag & drop you can't as it renames files/folders when you move them to the iPod and it's a **** to recognise what's what.
    However - if you are computer savvy you could look into Rockbox. It may turn the iPod into the drag and drop format you want. I was too chicken, but it might be worth your time to check it out before a final decision.
    http://www.rockbox.org/
    Or maybe, depending on which formats the Walkman doesn't use, you could find ways to make those conversions yourself to them be able to load to the Walkman?

Or (again!) have you checked any of the Android phones? I think they do lots of what you want in the size...
    aprilla
    my backlog is massive

If i tell you what i have ended up with it might give you another route to check out. (i sort of touched on it in another thread)

It possibly sounds like a pain to set up but in my opinion it's worth it, i'm sort of compelled to use PDA's, they just seem to have a better versitility over android phones and proprietry readers etc.

What i'm using now is a HTC Kaiser (£50 off of Ebay, it's a 3 year old unit ... and i only had to buy this as my 8 year old HTC himalaya died on me through a hardware failure ... they're tough stuff), basically it has a cut down version of windows on it called windows mobile and you can do most things as you can with windows, the unit it about 4.5 x 2.5 x 3/4 inches with a 2.5 x 2 inch screen (this is very clear though and has an adjustable back light for ease of use on the eyes).

I have at my disposal......

A mobile phone, (with contact numbers, sms, mms, emails etc) it has data (GPRS), WiFi, Bluetooth connections.
    A full multi year calender (with appointments etc) this links and syncronizes to microsoft outlook when connected to my PC or Netbook.
    It has "tasks" and "notes" functions so i can remind myself to do stuff with alarms/notifications.
    I can read in PDF, .doc, .lit, and many others (if i get a book in an odd file format, i just convert the file into something suitable with a propriety software)
    I have two media players (the standard windows media 11 and a third party player i installed) so i'm able to have one to play my audio books (any recognised format mp3, wma, wav, etc) and one to watch videos (mp4, wmv, flv etc) or listen to music. (either of the players will keep my place when they are closed, also there's the benefit of having the standard "time slider" so i can fast forward/reverse through my audio books / films at leisure)
    You can listen to radio (either through the WiFi or data connection via internet access)
    I surf the web through internet explorer (not a simplified browser) so reap the benefits of full images, flash and java.

As it's a bluetooth unit you can get a good pair of headphones, link them up, pop the PDA in your pocket and go about your daily business (if you get a phone call it notifies you through the earphones by stopping the audio, plays a ringtone in your ears and you just take the call as usual)

There's a plethera of software available to install for whatever you want it to do, and developers are continually coming up with more to "keep up" with the latest technology for instance my next task is to find the best version of android phone software and install it on this PDA so i can use a "duel boot program" i've written to enable me to use "apps" such as the latest Kindle reader app.

I even occasionally play some old PC platfrom games on it and have a Gameboy Advance emulator to get my fix of "Crash Bandicoot" and "Rayman" (yes i'm nearly 50, but little boys don't grow up eh )

It might sound like a bit of messing around at first but when you have all the programs installed and know what's where on the thing it's a joy to have.

*edit*
    forgot to add ..... you can insert a memory card in them (up to 16GB supposedly) and therefore can drag and drop files when syncronized to PC, or take out the card and just insert it in your PC's media slot (or USB adapter) to use it as an external drive to move/delete/swap files .. create folders.. as neccessary.
    "Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can"

YES!!
    That is just what I would do myself if I were in the market for ANYTHING. I've said it, as soon as all the various gadgets we have start to go - what you have described is all I'll ever want.

Voting - Best post EVER!

aprilla
    my backlog is massive

Quote Originally Posted by aprilla View Post
    Voting - Best post EVER!
    Well thank ye (unexpected that was)

As an extra i've just been trawling the "olde t'interweb" and found a little developers programme (called "Freda" ... free - e - reader .... clever that eh?) that is windows mobile compatible and displays .epub files in their correct formatting .... Ta-Da, yippeee, woop woop etc etc etc ... one less to have to convert (little things.... yes..... i know he he )

*edit*
    The day gets better .. nothing to do with reading but to show the fexibility of it .... i've just got the Sat-Nav sorted on the PDA using it's inbuilt GPS doo-dab whatsit
    "Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast